I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse that was built in the mid 1970's, not a huge Mega Mansion, with my Hubby Joe, who is a Retired Letter Carrier. I worked night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit for 37 years before I had Knee Replacement Surgery and officially Retired in 2019 after 41 years working in Direct Patient Care ... I am LOVING Retirement!!!!

I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!

" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Saga of our Baby Robins and "Summer of 69"

 UPDATE: UNFORTUNATELY, THE BABY ROBBINS DID NOT MAKE IT...........

You may recall that I have been sharing photos of the robin's nest in one of our trees in the back yard......
Last night, as we were leaving to go to see Bryan Adams in concert at the Mohegan Sun Arena @ Casey Plaza which is 5 minutes from our house, the storms that were supposed to break the heat wave here in NEPA, moved in.......

We were stuck in our car, parked outside the Arena for a half hour waiting for the deluge of rain and wind and thunder and lightning to stop!!!

We were finally able to get out of the car , only to walk through rivers and ponds of water.......

My poor shoes will take days to dry out!!!!
 Thank goodness, I did not wear sandals!!

The concert was fantastic and we really enjoyed ourselves!!

Some one posted this video to you Tube from last night's concert!!

H ere is the link.......Enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-xueEW8ZiA


When we came home, I checked to see how much rain we got and to my horror , I saw 2 things laying on the walkway beside the tree in the back yard!!!!

Yes, it was 2 baby robins!!

The storm was apparently too much and they fell out of the nest.

We expected to find those poor babies dead in the morning.....

But to my surprise, this is what I saw when I looked out the back door this morning!!
 Yes, 3 baby robins all huddled together and moving!!
All were alive!!!

Where the 3rd one came from, I do not know!

The nest looks like it tipped in the wind and rain.....
 Soon afterward, Mama Robin came......
I did not know what to do so I hit Google and read a few articles that said if Mama is there tending to the babies, you leave them alone.
I did want to provide some protection and shelter so I placed some empty pots around them .....
 Mama has been moving them around a bit within the pot enclosure.....
She is also bringing them worms which they are eating!!
 Look at the poor things......
 I am concerned about the one that she moved over to the side......
 But I am sure that she knows best......

 How much rain did we actually get in about 45 minutes on Tuesday????????

Another inch of rain but at least the heat wave has broke and it is in the 70's again with low humidity!!

And SUNNY!!!

Perfect in my book!!

Keep your fingers crossed that at least some of the baby robins live!!

I will keep you posted the the baby robins......

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the babies did not make it........

Hugs,
Deb

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is remarkable, Debbie! When I saw the first picture, I thought they were dead. . .:( Reminded me of when I was a little girl and we had pigeons roosting in the eaves of our house. The babies would sometimes fall out onto the lower roof. So sad! I'm hoping your robins fare well. Looks like mama is not giving up; good for her! Let us know for sure how this works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... so interesting about those baby birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh noooooo, I am worried about the babies! Keep us posted.
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the babies Debbie! It is hard to watch and not do a lot to help, but I know you did the right thing. We had eggs in a Robin nest last year. Mama built her next right on my Forsythia wreath. I could hardly wait till the eggs hatched. One day we came home and the mama was so upset. Something had gotten to her eggs. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also sorry about the babies, Debbie, must be difficult.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate to see that, sweet little things. I went to the porch door early this morning and saw a wood pecker lying there dead. Ran into the glass. Made me sick, poor thing. I am going to get some stickers for the door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so sorry to hear that the babies did not make it, sounds like she was doing all she could to keep them alive, as well as you, so sad.
    Bummer about the downpour but so good to hear the concert went very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe...that is so sad that they didn't make it :( Bless your heart for trying to give them a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww poor things. I have a nest of babies in a garden storage drawer, I've been watching. I enjoyed your photos ~ thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read your comments and opinions!!
I will try to respond to your comment as quickly as I can either on your Blog, through an email address or here on the posts where you commented if I cannot find any other way to contact you!!
If you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, it will be deleted immediately as I check my comment several times a day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...